Can I Change my Solicitor During a Claim?

If you are unhappy or dissatisfied with the service you are receiving from your current personal injury solicitor and want to find a new one, you can change your solicitor at any time.

Before changing solicitors however, it is important that you believe the new one will provide a better service and that you will be confident with them working for you.

What about the costs to date of my current solicitor?
Who pays your current solicitor costs? Your case file belongs to you, although your solicitor has the right to hold on to it until their costs are paid. However, solicitors will almost always agree to release your file in return for an undertaking from the new solicitor that they will claim those costs at the conclusion of the case. We suggest however that you contact your current solicitor to check the position about their costs before changing.

How do I make the change?
In the first instance, please contact Roger Henderson for a free consultation about your case. If we can help, we will ask you to sign a Release Form and we will contact your current solicitors to arrange for your file to be transferred to us. It is generally that simple!

When to complain to the Legal Ombudsman
If you have complained to your current solicitor about poor service and you are not satisfied with their response, you can contact the Legal Ombudsman.

The Legal Ombudsman deals with poor service, such as:

  • delayed or unclear communication;
  • problems with your bill;
  • loss of documents.

You can contact the Legal Ombudsman by:

Changing to Rundlewalker
If you are interested in changing solicitors, please contact Roger Henderson for a free consultation by telephoning 01392 209218 or email Alternatively, please use the Enquiry Form opposite.

The Team involved in helping with your accident or injury claim can be found here: Specialist Accident & Injury Claim Team.

Get In Touch

Call NOW 01392 209209

Get In Touch

Call NOW 01392 209209